Adhesives, caulks & sealants Imerys minerals - ideal functional mineral pigments for adhesives, caulks and sealants
Imerys minerals make excellent functional mineral pigments in adhesives, caulks and sealants.
Kaolin such as our Argirec™ B24 product are ideal for water-based adhesives such as polyvinyl alcohol used in high speed paper lamination for the production of graphic cardboard and corrugated board.
- Provides the right rheology profile fostering low adhesive use per g/m2 to create adhesion
- Gives stable viscosity profile over a longer period of time ( good shelf life)
- Confers the correct balance between dosing concentration and viscosity level
- Provides kaolin color which is compatible with the color of test liner and craft liner paper substrates
- Is very suitable for ' high viscosity' water-based adhesives due to its high surface area and very fine particles
- Provides a good initial grab and green strength
- Provides durable bond between paper substrates with a defined quality in both low and high hydrolyzed polyvinyl alcohols
The platy shape of kaolin gives also good barrier properties in sealants by creating a tortuous path to protect the material that has been sealed.
Imerys platy talc's make excellent multifunctional fillers in caulks, adhesives and sealants where they:
- Are excellent thixotropes improving rheology
- Provide low adsorbed moisture
- Improve sandability due to their natural softness
- Improve dimensional stability, crack resistance and shrink resistance
- Make spreading easier
The needle-like structure of wollastonite makes it a highly effective functional filler in structural, high-temperature, pressure sensitive, hot melt, heat activated and UV curable adhesives and sealants where it provides:
- Improved mechanical properties
- Enhanced sag resistance
- Good rheology
- Cold temperature crack resistance
- Improved tensile strength
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.